We are wrapping up our UOI "Family Stories." Students are creating mind- maps tat show what they know now about the reasons why people tell family stories, how you can find out about the past, what could you find out and what is something they learned during this unit.
Digital stories are half way done. Students are experimenting with adding effects, changing the sequesnce, and recording their voice. You should hear and feel the buzz of the digitalw riting workshops with Ms. Glyka.
In math students have had two opportunities to show what they have learned and know about 2-D shapes. On Friday we will have one more mental matht est and then we reflect on how well the students achieved their goal for mastering basic addition.
In reading we have talked about inferring as a reading strategy.
Inferring allows to look beyond literal text. It is our thinking based on combination of the text, our experience, knowledge, questions, values, creativity, logic and thoughtfulness.
When we read we can infer themes and main idea, feelings and emotions of the character, points of views, and/or lessons learned.
Each time we make an inference we can ask ourselves some guiding questions:
What is the inference I am making?
What information did I use to make the inference?
What evidence in the book supports my inference?
How good is my thinking?
Do I need to change my thinking?
We will take time to practice the skills of inferring, expressing our thinking and using the text to support our thinking.
We have continued blogging. I just love the excitement that this experience has brought into writing. Having others commenting, having an audience besides the teacher, has made the students eager to write. Plus, thinking more of conventions.
I have sent all of you invitations to view the blog. Slice of Grade 3
Please, be kind and remember that we are still learning how to blog and comment. Your comments are very welcome.
We are getting closer to finishing the final drafts of personal narratives. Using Google Drive, the students wrote comments to each other to help with the revision process. I hope that the stories will be ready for publishing next week.






No comments:
Post a Comment