Friday, January 17, 2014

Reading


I chose The Paper Bag Princess  for a read aloud book to review the different reading strategies. 
Since we started a new round of Literature Circles we talked about ho to prepare for it. Readers use post-its to mark pages where they catch themselves thinking. And later use some of the marked places to write down their thinking in more detail.



At first some students can get over excited and use a whole package of post-its and mark every thought crossing their mind. To help them to choose a bit better, I shared some "signposts" that a reader may find and should pay attention to in literary texts. (Idea from a book Notice and Note)


When I reread The Paper Bag Princess, they were able to find again and again signpost in the book.  When I was reading The Velveteen Rabbit, the students were able to name the tough question the main character asked and identify the words of the wiser.



I hope that with more practice, the student will be able to pay closer attention to their Literature Circle texts and individual reading.

Next week we will inquire into what can we do and how could we speak to have a rich and interesting discussion during the Literature Circle meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment